Since our inception, Global Girls, Inc. has improved the lives and collective experience of hundreds of girls in our community. We take great pride in celebrating our successes together and honoring the beautiful young women that remind us
We have been busy…
Global Girls 2016 Year In Review
- Nine south side girls traveled to Grenada and worked with 30 girls on our second John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation arts exchange grant.
- Four youth and five adults traveled with us to Mombasa, Kenya to work with our 26 Global Girls in community schools in partnership with Mombasa Relief Initiative.
- Seven of our young actresses will appear in a soon to be released independent film about the aftermath of gun violence in Chicago.
- Seventeen Tanner Elementary School 4th graders visited The Global Studio on a field trip and learned about the Law of Attraction, the Four Basic Communication Styles, Don Miguel Ruiz’ Four Agreements and how to manage Self Talk.
- 83 girls ages 4 to 14 participated in our Youth Performance Camp this summer.
- 56 teens including 18 males learn acting and dance in our Take the Stage, After School Matters program.
- Youth sang, danced and acted in skits in our most successful Summer Performance Showcase this summer at the beautiful Grand Ballroom. Over 300 parents and friends came out to see them.
- Over 900 youth participated in our school and community based programs and events.
- The Global Girls Theatre Collaborative (GTC) – adults performed, “The Storm Within” a staged reading at the Global Studio. The group has already started rehearsal on the next show.
- Thanks to our partnership with the Greater Chicago Food Depository, we served 6,500 hot meals in our after school and Saturday programs.
- Our girls and boys performed in 12 community and Global Girls sponsored public events
- We now have twelve Global Girls alums in college and they’ve created the Global Girls alumni team. One, Prosper Johnson recently graduated with a BA in Speech Pathology!! Two others, Sonnea Sprueill and Te’Reah Fields, have earned their degrees and are now working nurses!!
- Our girls are winning academic and performance awards, inspiring and advocating for other youth in their schools.
- This summer we led a Love Walk down South Chicago to 79th Street and encouraged others to spread love